Postdoctoral Fellow |Job Code 21-059
Excellent opportunity to gain the postdoctoral training in a state-of-the-art research environment in the Lundquist Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. The Yoshihara Lab ( https://eijiyoshiharalab.com/ ) is interested in the origins of life/physiology and the molecular genetics of pancreatic islets, metabolic disease, inflammation (including autoimmune diseases and diabetes) and using this information to devise regenerative medicine and small-molecule therapies for type 1 and type 2 diabetes. We are currently seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow who is interested in the molecular basis of developmental biology and physiology and creating the novel therapeutics for diabetes. We will use multi-omics analysis (genomics, metabolomics, proteomics), animal model and stem cells as the powerful tool to study diabetes and metabolism, and to identify therapeutic targets in metabolic diseases. Experience in next-gen sequencing, mouse models, and/or stem cells is preferred but not required. Successful candidates will have or are in the final stages of completing a doctoral degree (Ph.D., M.D. /Ph.D., or M.D.), a track record of productivity with peer-reviewed publications, and excellent communication skills. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org your CV, a brief description of your research interests, background and future career goals. Please also provide contact information for at least three references.
1. Yoshihara E, Connor CO, Gasser E, Wei Z, Oh TG, Tseng TW, Wang D, Cayabyab F, Dai Y, Yu RT, Liddle C, Atkins A, Downes M, Evans RM. Immune evasive human islet-like organoids ameliorate diabetes.
(Nature, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-020-2631-z, 2020).
2. Fu T, Coulter S, Yoshihara E, Oh TG, Fang S, Cayabyab F, Zhu Q, Leblanc M, Gasser E, Liu S, Waizenegger W, He M, Atkins AR, Yu RT, Knight R, Liddle C, Downes M, Evans RM
FXR regulates intestinal cancer stem cell proliferation
( Cell 176, 1098-1112, 2019)
3. Wei Z, Yoshihara E, He N, Hah N, Fan W, Huddy T, Wang Y, Ross B, Dai Y, Ding N, Sherman MH, Fang S, Zhao X, Liddle C, Atkins AR, Yu RT, Downes M, Evans RM
Vitamin D switches BAF complexes to protect β cells
( Cell 173, 1-15, 2018)
4. Yoshihara E, Wei Z, Lin CS, Fang S, Ahmadian M, Kida Y, Tseng T, Dai Y, Yu RT, Liddle C, Atkins A, Downes M, Evans RM
ERR γ is required for the metabolic maturation of therapeutically functional glucose responsive β cells
( Cell Metabolism 23,1-13 2016)
5. Yoshihara E, Fujimoto S, Inagaki N, Okawa K, Masaki S, Yodoi J, Masutani H
Disruption of TBP-2 ameliorates insulin sensitivity and secretion without affecting obesity
( Nature Communications, 1:127 doi: 10.1038/ncomms1127, 2010)
6. Masters SL, Dunne A, Subramanian SL, Hull RL,Tannahill GM, Sharp FA, Becker C, Franchi L, Yoshihara E, Chen Z, Mullooly N, Mielke LA, Harris J, Coll R, Mills KHG, Mok KH, Newsholme P, Nunez G, Yodoi J, Kahn SE, Lavelle EC, O’Neill LA. Activation of the Nlrp3 inflammasome by islet amyloid polypeptide provides a mechanism for enhanced IL-1β in type-2 diabetes.
( Nature Immunology, 11(10): 897-904, 2010)
Description of Duties:
- Performing the research projects for high-profile peer reviewed publication, patent application and presentation
Contact: Eiji Yoshihara email: email@example.com
1124 W Carson St, Torrance, CA 90502 The Lundquist Institute for Biomedical Innovation at Harbor UCLA Medical Center