Phlebotomist |Job Code 21-077
The Lundquist Institute is looking for a Full-time Phlebotomist to join our team in our Torrance, CA location
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- GED or High school diploma
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Medical Assistant Certification and Basic Life Support CPR Certification
- Entry level research coordinator
- Phlebotomy experience
- Ability to provide clear description of research studies and study process in order to consent in clinical and research environment.
- Knowledge and ability to perform basic specimen collection, processing, and handling, centrifugation, and other clinic and general phlebotomy laboratory procedures.
- Ability to triage all lab samples and requests after verification of appropriate information, following written protocols
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and ability to present basic metrics on research sample collection
- Ability to check and maintain logs for centrifuge, freezer and refrigerator temperatures and other equipment
- Ability to maintain neat and accurate records in computerized systems and on paper
Description of Duties
- Approach patients in Hospital areas, inpatient or outpatient clinics to inform them of research study and consent patients
- Perform phlebotomy in a skillful and safe manner.
- Collect consent forms, HIPAA forms and other surveys as needed for research studies
- Collect, handle, process, deliver, and ship blood, saliva, and other bodily fluids/samples for research projects.
- Retrieve, copy, file, and maintain research forms in an orderly manner and enter data in research study databases.
- Prepare set-ups and generate laboratory labels for visits. Assist researchers, physicians and nurses with protocol procedures as needed for assigned research studies.
- Clean, disinfect, perform quality control and maintain logs for centrifuge, freezers, refrigerators, and other clinic equipment.
- Provide IRB submission support as needed
- Provide metrics for research study activities and study recruitment
- Other duties as may be assigned (required
- Medical: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or POS group medical insurance benefits. The cost for these benefits is shared between the Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Dental: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or PPO group dental insurance benefit options, including orthodontic allowances. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Vision: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with group vision insurance benefit options. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Disability: Eligible employees are provided with long-term disability insurance, which is fully paid for by Lundquist Institute This insurance provides benefits if an employee becomes disabled due to illness, pregnancy, or injury for more than 120 days.
- Paid Vacation: Eligible employees can accumulate ten (10) hours of vacation per month up to a maximum of 15 working days per year.
- Pension Plan: The Lundquist Institute provides a retirement plan for eligible employees, which is fully funded by Lundquist Institute. The Lundquist Institute makes an annual contribution based on each employee’s earnings in accordance with the provisions of the plan.
- Supplemental Retirement: Eligible employees can participate in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan which allows pretax contributions. The Lundquist Institute offers a variety of investment options through Fidelity Investment, TIAA/CREF.
- Life Insurance: Eligible employees are provided with group life insurance, which is fully paid for by the Lundquist Institute.
- Paid Sick Leave: Eligible employees can accrue up to ten (10) days of sick leave per year.
The Lundquist Institute is a non-profit scientific research organization dedicated to saving lives not only in the greater Los Angles metro area but throughout the world. The Institute has over more than 120 principal investigators and 400 researchers in total — MD’s, MD/PhD’s, and PhD’s — working on over 1,000 research studies. We are academically affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and work in partnership with the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Our research is funded by many sources including grants from the NIH and other government entities, Industry and teaching contracts and royalties, as well as private donors and other non-profit foundations.
Position requires a background check and health clearance
Please apply on-line @ www.Lundquist.org
Equal Opportunity Employer