Nurse - RN | Job Code: 19-092
Torrance, US-CA 90502
Part-time position; work less than 30 hours per week (no benefits)
# of Openings:
Clinical and Translational Science Institute-1133
Minimum education requirements:
Based on Qualifications & Experience
3/6/20 11:05 AM
Flexible to work evenings, nights, weekends, or holidays. Prefer bilingual English-Spanish speaker. Work hours not guaranteed but schedules on an as-needed basis
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Associates degree in Nursing required. BS degree highly desired
- Valid California Registered Nurse license
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support Certificate
- One year acute care nursing experience
- Pediatric IV and phlebotomy skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nursing process to assess, diagnose, plan, implement, and evaluate care for clients enrolled in clinical research trials.
- Knowledge of physical, cognitive, behavioral, and psychosocial growth and development in all age groups.
- Ability to perform nursing function and research procedures in a safe, efficient, and timely manner according to approved research protocols, established policies, and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to perform skillful phlebotomy and intravenous (IV) insertions on research participants in all age groups.
- Ability to collect and process samples and clinical data correctly and in a timely manner.
- Knowledge and ability to correctly calculate and administer medications.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize demands of multiple research projects.
- Ability to provide clear instructions, good communication, and feedback to patients, families, and physicians.
- Ability to work in concert with investigators, research coordinators, and other members of the research team.
- Knowledge and ability to properly delegate and oversee work assigned to other nurses and unlicensed personnel.
- Ability to operate clinical, laboratory, and office machines and equipment.
- Knowledge of FDA, GCP and ICH guidelines in the conduct of clinical research trials.
- Willingness to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holiday with appropriate notice.
Description of Duties:
- Administer professional nursing care for clients participating in approved clinical research trials.
- Measure and document vital signs, height, weight, anthropometric measurements, intake and output;
- Perform skillful phlebotomy and intravenous insertion;
- Collect data and various bodily samples such as blood, urine, sputum, swabs, and others;
- Process samples, store, distribute, and deliver specimens.
- Calculate and administer FDA-approved and experimental medications and devices.
- Monitor subject reaction to medications, treatments, or other research related activities and report adverse reactions or adverse events to the Investigator or Physician.
- Perform Point-Of-Care-Testing (POCT) such as urine pregnancy test, blood glucose, hemoglobin and urinalysis.
- Performs OGTT, IVGTT, Stimulation tests (i.e., Arginine), pK studies, and other approved protocol-related activities or procedures;
- Receive phone calls on abnormal or critical laboratory values; record and report values to nursing personnel or physician, as appropriate.
- Initiate lifesaving action in emergencies and alert the nurse-in-charge or physician;
- Obtains and provides complete patient care information to nursing and physician at change of shift;
- Work with Physicians, Staff Nurses (RNs), LVNs, Medical Assistants, Nursing Attendants, Clerks, Study team, or other personnel to meet the objectives of the CTRC and its approved and supported research protocols;
- Perform basic laboratory procedures such as centrifuging and handling of bodily fluids for processing, aliquoting, freezing, and delivery of samples.