Medical Librarian I |Job Code 21-064
The Lundquist Institute is looking for a Full-time Medical Librarian I to join our team in our Torrance, CA location
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Masters degree-in Library Sciences MLS or MLIS
- 1 year professional librarian experience in a medical library or graduate courses in at least two of the following areas: medical bibliography, medical library administration, or special library services
Proficiency in Power Point and knowledgeable in Medical Terminology. Medical Library Databases: PubMed, OVID, Clinical Key, UptoDate, Docline, CINAHL, and online catalogues.
- Experience working with new technology in basic HTML suitable for a Library environment.
- Driven to explore and develop evidence based best practices.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to adapt to changes in work responsibilities, work environment, processed or cultures.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Planning and organization skills.
Description of Duties:
Troubleshooting technology questions, providing reference service to staff, literature searching, cataloging, processing online materials, and supporting management.
- Develop contents for the Parlow Library web site and the online catalog.
- Provide book, journal, index, database, or Internet information appropriate to the inquiry in a timely manner.
- Formulate and execute database searches in an effective manner to locate citations, which answer the patron’s inquiry.
- Assist medical, nursing, administrative staff with hardware problems to resolve compatibility and search problems.
- Process Docline and other interlibrary loan requests in a timely manner.
- Train librarian staff and patrons on the basics of the Internet.
- Develop teaching tools of relevant locations and teach search strategy and mechanics.
- Catalogues medical books, journals and maintains online journals collection.
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving desktop and remote access issues with online subscription.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Medical: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or POS group medical insurance benefits. The cost for these benefits is shared between the Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Dental: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or PPO group dental insurance benefit options, including orthodontic allowances. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Vision: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with group vision insurance benefit options. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Disability: Eligible employees are provided with long-term disability insurance, which is fully paid for by Lundquist Institute This insurance provides benefits if an employee becomes disabled due to illness, pregnancy, or injury for more than 120 days.
- Paid Vacation: Eligible employees can accumulate ten (10) hours of vacation per month up to a maximum of 15 working days per year.
- Pension Plan: The Lundquist Institute provides a retirement plan for eligible employees, which is fully funded by Lundquist Institute. The Lundquist Institute makes an annual contribution based on each employee’s earnings in accordance with the provisions of the plan.
- Supplemental Retirement: Eligible employees can participate in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan which allows pretax contributions. The Lundquist Institute offers a variety of investment options through Fidelity Investment, TIAA/CREF.
- Life Insurance: Eligible employees are provided with group life insurance, which is fully paid for by the Lundquist Institute.
- Paid Sick Leave: Eligible employees can accrue up to ten (10) days of sick leave per year.
The Lundquist Institute is a non-profit scientific research organization dedicated to saving lives not only in the greater Los Angles metro area but throughout the world. The Institute has over more than 120 principal investigators and 400 researchers in total — MD’s, MD/PhD’s, and PhD’s — working on over 1,000 research studies. We are academically affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and work in partnership with the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Our research is funded by many sources including grants from the NIH and other government entities, Industry and teaching contracts and royalties, as well as private donors and other non-profit foundations.
Position requires a background check and health clearance
Please apply on-line @
Equal Opportunity Employer