The Lundquist Institute is looking for a Full-time Environmental Health & Safety Associate to join our team in our Torrance, CA location
Salary Range $25-$30hr
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry or Physics preferred
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Must be able to understand Federal, State and Local rules, regulations and laws pertaining to the receipt, use and transfer storage and disposal of hazardous and radioactive materials.
- 3 year working as a laboratory assistant or equivalent. 3+ years preparing hazardous and/or radioactive waste for storage and/or disposal.
- Calibration of radiometric equipment
- Strong background in chemistry and/or biology preferred
- Familiar with radiometric or electronic test equipment
- Organized and motivated to learn new skills
- Able to work independently and follow a project to its conclusion
Description of Duties
- Manages the radioactive waste facility. This includes: picking up radioactive waste from the research laboratories, delivering the waste to the facility, segregating the various waste streams, preparing waste for disposal, coordinating the pick-up with the waste vendor, preparing and maintaining regulatory documentation(e.g., LLRW disposal permits, waste manifest, waste inventory, etc
- Managing the Radiation Laboratory. This includes: receiving, monitoring and distributing radioactive material to authorized users.
- Calibrates radiometric equipment use for radiation detection. surveys and quantification of radioactive samples
- Assists the RSO with laboratory surveys and tests.
- Generates room diagrams and aids in posting radiation source use area.
- Orders and maintains supplies for the Environmental Health and Safety Office.
- Assist the safety Officer with testing of emergency showers eyewashes and portable fire extinguishers.
- Assists the Safety Officer with pick-up and disposal of Hazardous and/or Biological waste.
- Medical: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or POS group medical insurance benefits. The cost for these benefits is shared between the Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Dental: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or PPO group dental insurance benefit options, including orthodontic allowances. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Vision: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with group vision insurance benefit options. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Disability: Eligible employees are provided with long-term disability insurance, which is fully paid for by Lundquist Institute This insurance provides benefits if an employee becomes disabled due to illness, pregnancy, or injury for more than 120 days.
- Paid Vacation: Eligible employees can accumulate ten (10) hours of vacation per month up to a maximum of 15 working days per year.
- Pension Plan: The Lundquist Institute provides a retirement plan for eligible employees, which is fully funded by Lundquist Institute. The Lundquist Institute makes an annual contribution based on each employee’s earnings in accordance with the provisions of the plan.
- Supplemental Retirement: Eligible employees can participate in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan which allows pretax contributions. The Lundquist Institute offers a variety of investment options through Fidelity Investment, TIAA/CREF.
- Life Insurance: Eligible employees are provided with group life insurance, which is fully paid for by the Lundquist Institute.
- Paid Sick Leave: Eligible employees can accrue up to ten (10) days of sick leave per year.
The Lundquist Institute is a non-profit scientific research organization dedicated to saving lives not only in the greater Los Angles metro area but throughout the world. The Institute has over more than 120 principal investigators and 400 researchers in total — MD’s, MD/PhD’s, and PhD’s — working on over 1,000 research studies. We are academically affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and work in partnership with the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Our research is funded by many sources including grants from the NIH and other government entities, Industry and teaching contracts and royalties, as well as private donors and other non-profit foundations.
Position requires a background check and health clearance
Please apply on-line @ www.Lundquist.org
Equal Opportunity Employer