Animal Tech II | Job Code 20-090
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- GED or high school Diploma / Bachelors
- LAT minimum
- Animal care experience in a research and animal laboratory setting
- Must be capable of properly handling and restraining all species of common laboratory animals, have no abnormal fear of any common laboratory species
- Ability to work with small and large animals
- Perform animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals
- Ability to administer treatments to animals per veterinarian instructions
- Must be able to clean and change animal cages per the standard operating procedures, instructions on researchers’ protocols, U.S.D.A. and NIH guidelines, and any other requirements
- Keep accurate and complete records
- Perform cleaning and sanitation of animal rooms and equipment
- Be able to work alone and as a member of team
- Ability to make good judgement calls
- Ability to detect small changes in animal behavior and/or health
- Work well under pressure
- Interact in a professional manner
- Attention to detail is critical for this position
- Early morning shift and weekends
- Demonstrate cooperative behavior and positive-problem solving and conflict resolution skills
Description of Duties
- Review, comprehend and comply with all standard operating procedures (SOP) and quality assurance standards pertaining to laboratory animals for research.
- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations.
- Perform animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Maintain accurate records of animal health, breeding, and housing/isolator or support areas as required.
- Assist with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned.
- Strictly follow all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas or isolator environments, including room or facility personnel entry and personnel protective equipment use.
- Receive, inspect and house incoming animals.
- May be involved in strictly maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures to ensure appropriate production levels.
- Assist with surgical preparation of animals and monitor anesthesia during surgical procedures
- Assist with surgical procedures as needed by attending veterinarian
- Assist with post-operative care of all research animals
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety guidelines
- Perform general housekeeping and adhere to safety procedures.
- •Other duties as may be assigned (required)