Animal Tech I | Job Code 21-080
The Lundquist Institute is looking for a Full-time Animal Tech I to join our team in our Torrance, CA location
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A diploma from high school or equivalent is required.
- This is an entry level position and previous animal experience would be beneficial.
- Basic computer and math skills.
- Ability to effectively comprehend and communicate (verbal and written) in a professional manner.
- An aptitude to follow company policies (tobacco, drug and alcohol-free site), standard operating procedures, and maintain regulatory compliance is important.
- This is a physical position in a warm environment.
- Ability to work with animals.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to interact in an appropriate and professional manner with others.
Description of Duties
- Perform animal husbandry (clean, feed, sanitation, enrichment, etc.) on a regular basis.
- Operate, maintain, and perform equipment tasks (e.g. cage washers, autoclave, cage movement, etc.) on a regular basis.
- Observe and report any aberrations in animal room environments (room temperature, humidity, lighting, ventilation, vermin, etc.).
- Perform general facility cleaning, stocking, and inventory.
- Prepare rooms, sanitize, and repair as needed.
- Receive, and distribute animals for isolation, study assignment or consolidation.
- Perform animal identification tasks (tattoo, sex, ear tag, etc.).
- Comply with the appropriate safety and study requirements as described in the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and governmental regulations.
- Comply with appropriate safety and health practices including personal protective equipment and barrier requirements, as applicable.
- Recognize animal behavior, health status and report to appropriate channels.
- Attend training programs to become more knowledgeable of and develop expertise in laboratory animal science.
- Medical: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or POS group medical insurance benefits. The cost for these benefits is shared between the Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Dental: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or PPO group dental insurance benefit options, including orthodontic allowances. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Vision: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with group vision insurance benefit options. The cost for these benefits is shared between Lundquist Institute and the employee.
- Disability: Eligible employees are provided with long-term disability insurance, which is fully paid for by Lundquist Institute This insurance provides benefits if an employee becomes disabled due to illness, pregnancy, or injury for more than 120 days.
- Paid Vacation: Eligible employees can accumulate ten (10) hours of vacation per month up to a maximum of 15 working days per year.
- Pension Plan: The Lundquist Institute provides a retirement plan for eligible employees, which is fully funded by Lundquist Institute. The Lundquist Institute makes an annual contribution based on each employee’s earnings in accordance with the provisions of the plan.
- Supplemental Retirement: Eligible employees can participate in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan which allows pretax contributions. The Lundquist Institute offers a variety of investment options through Fidelity Investment, TIAA/CREF.
- Life Insurance: Eligible employees are provided with group life insurance, which is fully paid for by the Lundquist Institute.
- Paid Sick Leave: Eligible employees can accrue up to ten (10) days of sick leave per year.
The Lundquist Institute is a non-profit scientific research organization dedicated to saving lives not only in the greater Los Angles metro area but throughout the world. The Institute has over more than 120 principal investigators and 400 researchers in total — MD’s, MD/PhD’s, and PhD’s — working on over 1,000 research studies. We are academically affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and work in partnership with the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Our research is funded by many sources including grants from the NIH and other government entities, Industry and teaching contracts and royalties, as well as private donors and other non-profit foundations.
Position requires a background check and health clearance
Please apply on-line @ www.Lundquist.org
Equal Opportunity Employer